Thursday, 16 December 2010

Smitten for the Mitten

I joined in with a Christmas ornament swap. I've never done one before, and I was a bit intimidated by other people's efforts to start off with. Then I had a couple of false starts, a few u-turns.
And then I tried making some teensy-tiny mittens. Not very New Zealand, I know, but what the hey. Then, when I was faced with a pile of ten of them, they just looked kind of utilitarian and I was a little disappointed with that.
So I tried out a bit of gold thread embellishing. I thought they turned out dinky, but of course forgot to take photos of them before I packed them up. So here's a photo from Miriam's blog ...

One thing that came out of the whole experience was reminding myself that I'm rather handy at french knots, and I've never before used gold thread. Really should knock some up for ourselves, I reckon. Next post will feature the ornaments I was sent. They're all splendid.

Just one thing that completely slipped my mind until today. Have to get us a tree, don't I ...

4 comments:

Catherine and clan (aka catnz) said...

U need to get in touch with Ben about the tree - he's the tree expert of the O'Neill clan. Loved the ornaments and can I just say I hate doing french knots and have been known to avoid cross-stitch patterns that have too many of them!! Look forward to seeing you in Jan. Cath

Leonie said...

Cute little mittens. Something different!

Jill said...

Very cute teeny mittens. Why aren't they very New Zealand? I can do French knots I just can't knit. I've always wanted to. I wonder if my dog would wear mittens?

Mystic Thistle said...

I think they are perfectly cozy.

Related Posts with Thumbnails