Monday, 31 January 2011
Anyhoo, Happy-Birthday-for-Saturday, Harpoon!!
Saturday, 22 January 2011
Monday, 17 January 2011
Friday, 14 January 2011
Sunday, 9 January 2011
- Sweeney likes coleslaw;
- I can feel more tired than I did at the end of last year;
- Sweeney is mysteriously familiar with KFC and its range of products;
- You should lightly oil the pan that you're baking your pie in;
- Eta lite mayonnaise is actually rather acceptable.
Thursday, 6 January 2011
But that's another story ...
- chocolate banana muffins to take out to Auntie Thelma with the boys and their Nana;
- ham and broad bean salad, using Kimberley's Christmas ham and broad beans grown at our house, and Craig and Dorothy's down the road;
- blondies - a white version of the brownie, to take to Waikanae Beach. Seventeen forms of sugar can't be wrong ...;
- ham and leek pie - leeks cooked off in cider, then added to a white sauce with ham, mushrooms and more cider in it. Best accompanied by cider, and some amazing little purple potatoes from Craig and Dorothy's garden down the road. Then, when you're doing the washing up, have another cider; and
- toad in the hole. Yes. Toad. In. The. Hole. Actually, this really came into its own when the leftovers were fried off in bacon fat when we were camping. Haaaaaaapppy New Year, indeed ...
No, I don't have any photos of those, either. My challenge for myself is to find my camera, and empty the fridge and cupboards using this book. The mantra for 2011 is "no food left behind!!" ... or maybe something equally Lawrence of Arabia-ish, but less crazy-sounding.
Saturday, 1 January 2011
Camping for short periods is a good opportunity to clear out a few leftovers from the fridge. In this case, we took some things I've been knocking up from Nigella's new book, Kitchen, since I scored it for Christmas. Refried Toad in the Hole, and Ham and Broad Bean Salad. Half a bowl of red jelly for afters, for him. Many bottles of wine and a fresh new bag of coffee, for afters, for me.