Sunday, 6 December 2009

Wherever I Lay My Hat

This week's My Place and Yours meme, from Meet Me at Mike's and Myrtle and Eunice is all about what it takes to make you feel that you're really at home. I've been thinking hard about this one. I tried to remember what it was that made me feel a bit more settled when we moved back down to Wellington before Sweeney was born. And it was ...
this frypan, this casserole, this chopping board and this knife. Really. I've had them all for more than 20 years, put out a lot of food from those implements. And you know what?? Sometimes, it's tasted entirely adequate. Hurrah!!
And the calendar-thingy that Kimberley brought back from the UK - that's been with me in all the places I've lived since. Even Transplant House. Actually, the knife and chopping board came with us to Transplant House also.
In other news, our excellent friend Bela came for a sleepover. It was fun, if not entirely to plan. I had a plan, involving a few drinks at a nice local bar, then a panto, then back home for some pyrotechnics and 12 hours of zzzzz.
What happened was 25 minutes at the panto, two children gripping my legs in social terror for the whole 30 seconds we were at Matt's party at the Hawthorn, then a fraught visit to the supermarket before we headed home to watch Watership Down and eat potato chips on the furniture. Look at them, deeply concerned at whether Bigwig would make it or not ...
It's okay, he's all right.
Then, less than eight hours after hitting the sack, they were up again. All hopped up on breakfast, here's what they did for aaaaaaages ...
Realised I'd never thought of a policy about jumping on the couch until today.
Met up with Bela's excellent parents for Yum Char, which was indeed yummy, then we headed home for the droopiest afternoon we've had in a while. Sweeney snoozed for two hours (!) on the couch, and I watched Fred Claus with my hands in my lap. Monumental acting talent involved, and Kevin Spacey looked kind of sexy, in a black specs, cruel kind of way. I put it down to my 5.30am start doing my head in.
When Sweeney woke up, he tried using the camera. Took some great portraits of his toys, the floor, the ceiling, his fingers, a cloud mass through a grimy window.
And this old bat ...

7 comments:

Jackie said...

Favourite things to cook with would help you make a house a home. I have a couple of things I use all the time and are always the first to be unpacked.
Thank God my kids are teenagers now and don't get up until after lunch!!!

Kylie said...

In the immortal words of whoever...the best laid plans of mice and men...must have had kids! Ive joined in this meme but I'm feeling a little weird cause I dont really find myself attatched to too much...hmmm what does that say about me?

Cherie said...

Gorgeous, totally beautiful post, isn't it wonderful how simple things can make life bliss ;)

Tania said...

I'm just impressed you even got up off the couch after a sleep over like that to write the post. Yay for the little things that hang in there for twenty years and more - there's always a place for implements!

Amy said...

fantastic post! Food is such a family thing, I haven't had my kitchen stuff long enough yet (first house!) but I can see feeling that way about it.

Mystic Thistle said...

I've always thought Kevin Spacey was thoroughly hot.

Left you something on my blog.

meetmeatmikes said...

Watership Down...sob...is such a lovely and sad movie... sob...I can hear the theme song in my head right now. I bawled when I saw that movie as a kid... I wonder if I should revisit it..? I might be too wimpy, methinks! Merci for playing along this week!! x

Related Posts with Thumbnails