Saturday, 7 August 2010

Om(mmmm)a Rapeti

I've been getting a lot out of yoga classes over the last month. I'm especially trying to make the most of the relaxation stuff at the beginning and end of each class, but I meet with varying success. The meandering thoughts are one thing, but today I couldn't even keep physically still. Here's how it went:
Teacher: "Focus on the breath. See where the breath takes you."
My mind: "Man, I'm loving marmalade right now. Funny how you go off things for a bit, then rediscover them and ... oh, breathing. Brea.thing. Oooh, breathing feels nice. I can sooo take longer to exhale than that person next to me. No, no, no, that's not why you're here, is it? It's all about ... no, it's just not about competition. But still, heh, what an amateur she is. I am soooo excellent at exhalation."
Teacher, who has clearly been issuing instructions to the class for some time: " .... and that's the pivotal part of the body, so concentrate, focus everything on this part of the body ..."
My mind: "What the?? What part of the body?? Good grief. Oh well, no-one can see that I have no clue as to what the most important part of my body is. I'll just keep breathing. Breeeeeeathingggggg. Did I put the washing on before I came out?? Did I check Sweeney's bag for dirty clothes?? Oh, back to breathing. Breathing."
Okay, it's not as bad as the day I dropped off during the relaxation and awoke to find people doing actual moves. I love yoga so.
The picture above comes from this blog. I've been reading it this week - genius.
In other news, I made delicious spuds to go with our dinner tonight. Lemons and anchovies, vege stock. Awesome. One day I'm going to go the whole hog and do a vast fish to go with them, as the recipe says. Tonight, we found them enormously satisfactory with steak and salad.
And then I happened to be in the car when Peter Fry's show came on National Radio. He played an absolutely charming 1939 recording of Bud Flanagan and Chesney Allen singing Run Rabbit. I went home the long way, so I could hear it all the way through. Gorgeous.
Related Posts with Thumbnails