Tuesday, 13 January 2009

Start the year off ...

as I mean to go on. This year is great, so far. My resolutions are simple, and so far, I've actually kept them:
  • make keeping healthy a priority;
  • make keeping chirpy a priority;
  • eat healthily as much as possible; and
  • feed the cat daily.

Although I did give myself food poisoning last week - made a fantastic coleslaw, and there was a lot of it, and I just kept eating it each day, and eventually it delivered its own body blow. Still tasted brilliant, though. I kept thinking of Homer Simpson eating an old, enormous meat sandwich that put him in hospital repeatedly. The experience reinforced my resolve about staying healthy, because three days of wrangling Sweeney, while aching for a truck to run through the house and squash me, was horrible. We read a lot of stories while lying down, I watched him run up and down the beach while I lay down and he was really co-operative about having a few early nights.
Sweeney's got a big thing for Spiderman right now. He's never seen Spiderman, and in fact I've steered him towards Superman because he's always been my favourite of those, ahem, super men, but there's a chap at preschool who lives in Spiderman gear and the enthusiasm has rubbed off. Why I mention it is that I found a Spiderman cap the other day at the Sallies shop on Ghuznee St, and it made me think about:

  • how he's already, at two-and-a-half, more impressed by his peers than me;
  • how fantastic it is to know what he's interested in, because he actually tells me. With sentences that come out of his mouth; and
  • how little I like Spiderman.

I guess I never expected to bond with him over bedroom furnishings or anything, but I really thought I'd have more time than this to fill him with awe than anyone who can ride a flying fox or do a big splashy bomb off the side of the pool. But I have to admit, when he turned up on the deck in his new hat, he looked awfully chuffed, and that sort of thing sends my chirp levels right into space.

I've found a sensational website, http://www.101cookbooks.com/, which is informing a fair swag of the eating that goes on in our house. Reasonably healthful , mostly fruit and vege-based fare, some of it quite complicated. While I'm in holiday mode, it's nice to take time to find interesting things to make each day, and spend time doing it. Rather than freaking out that we've just got in and dinner needs to be ready in five minutes or he'll go beyond hunger like he does, and he'll refuse to eat and demand a trough of milk or just muesli bars instead. The absolute joy of him willingly eating a vegetable - tonight he mowed through cobs of corn like they were wine gums.

Today I made some Triple Ginger Cookies, using up some crystallised ginger that's been antagonising me from the back of the pantry for ages. True to the name, they've got ground ginger, stem ginger and crystallised ginger in them, so they're not suited to the ginger dilettante. Also molasses, which I love, but don't often think to put in anything I'm making. My mum's a big ginger fan, and also a lover of food in biscuit form, so a bunch of these little beauties are going a parcel to her tomorrow.
As for the cat, it's one of Sweeney's chores to feed her each morning, before we head off to preschool. His other chores are to brush his teeth twice a day, and tidy his toys up before bed. He's taken it on himself to put his own sandals on every day, and to have a stab at putting on his own shorts. He's the sort of kid who makes things routine very fast, so I figured if we made feeding the cat his job, he'd make a fuss if it didn't happen.

So that's the resolutions.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails