Friday, 19 June 2009

Me Me Me Meme

What is your current obsession?
Finding time, budget and the right weather conditions to get everything sorted for having people over for Sweeney's birthday party next weekend.

What are you wearing today?

Because I'm seeing an agent in about an hour, I'm wearing Minnie Cooper boots and cardigan, with a Robyn Mathieson skirt and a merino scarf I made last winter and seem to be living in this winter.

What's for dinner?

Tomato and rice soup, with homemade pita bread. Anticipating that Sweeney won't want it, so I have the fixings for vegemite sandwiches on standby.

What's the last thing you bought?

My laptop's new power supply. Hurrah!! It arrived this morning.

What are you listening to right now?

Arthur next door giving his mum his opinion about something, a tui nutting off in Geoff's eucalyptus tree, and the intermittent throaty rumble of a huge mulcher that's shredding one of No. 5's camellias.

If you could have a house totally paid for, fully furnished anywhere in the world, where would you like it to be?

Phnom Penh - so long as by 'fully furnished', it means 'air conditioned and with a never-ending supply of cool drinks'.

If you could go anywhere in the world for the next hour, where would you go?

Somewhere warmer than here, or Christchurch, to see my mum and dad.

Which language do you want to learn?

I have a smattering of te reo Māori, and would love to be fluent. And I've always wanted to understand more Latin.

What's your favorite quote (for now)?

I'll go tally the votes.

And Dad has a fearsome-sounding quote involving crutches, flames and Jesus that I always thought sounded dramatic and literary.

What is your favorite colour?

Red, rouge, whero.

What is your favorite piece of clothing in your own wardrobe?

A faux fur jacket I bought in a junk shop in Greymouth in the height of summer. I was pregnant, in a fug of morning sickness, and trying it on nearly made me faint. I first wore it on a freezing southerly Wellington day when Sweeney was about two weeks old, and I really needed to wear something that kept me warm when we went out, and made me feel like a human woman-not-sow again. Did the trick on both counts.

What is your dream job?

I don't really believe in dream jobs.

What's your favourite magazine?

Q Magazine

If you had £100 now, what would you spend it on?

A week of preschool fees, then plough the leftovers into, I don't know, going to a movie by myself during the day.

Describe your personal style?

I veer between Twisted Librarian - boots, A-line skirts and knits - and Slug - speaks for itself, really.

What are you going to do after this?

Go meet my agent at Mojo, and talk about myself for an hour.

What are your favourite films?

Slaves of New York, Do the Right Thing, Goodfellas and 24 Hour Party People.

What's your favourite fruit?

Fresh pineapple.

What inspires you?

Sweeney more than anything, people's ideas and achievements, nature, my friends and family .

Your favourite books?

White Noise, Scoop, Chemistry, The Vintner's Luck

Do you collect anything?

Meakin ceramics - especially Alfred Meakin, rather than JG Meakin. Patches for my camp blanket. And enormous clumps of dust in corners of the house.

What are you currently reading?

Still trundling through The Mayor of Casterbridge.

Go to your book shelf, take down the first book with a red spine you see, turn to page 26 and type out the first line:

"This account of Shaker behaviour could easily be describing meetings of the Quakers, properly known as the Society of Friends, nearly a century earlier.” It’s from Ann the Word, a biography of the woman who founded the Shakers. I was very interested in Shakers some years back.

What makes you follow a blog?

I like blogs that give me a sense that I'd actually like the person if I met them. Blogs that are written by people facing the same issues as me, or with the same interests as me. Or really deeply enmeshed in something completely foreign to me, like sci fi or plastics manufacture, or being Italian.

If you're reading this and you haven't already been tagged, consider it done!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails