Monday, 10 May 2010

Mother

Some of you may have noticed that yesterday was Mother's Day. I know I led up to Mother's Day with a lot of "it's just the same as every other day" hooha, but do you know what?? It was actually rather splendid.
For a start, Kimberley and I were at our Mum's, with her two Precious Boys in tow. As it turned out, it was Kimberley and me who were in tow. The three of them seemed to revel in us being elsewhere, which was awesome. Highlights include:
  • the three-hour (!) nap I had;
  • bread and butter pudding;
  • watching Sweeney wrangle Nana's wheely bin to the kerb in time for rubbish pickup;
  • Nana's 21-year-old neighbour emerging in his tshirt and boxers to retrieve his girlfriend's bag from her car, to find himself getting the Full Freeze and Stare treatment from Sweeney and Harper;
  • watching Sweeney trip over a guy rope, realise it was really quite fun, and do it again and again with increasing flourish;
  • watching Harper take it in as Sweeney goofed off with the tent, then have a tentative go at it himself;
  • listening to Nana instructing the boys in just the right way to pop a fuchsia bud;
  • waking up to a cup of tea in bed, and a lovely card and present from my little guy - thanks, Nana!!;
  • Kimberley's eggs Montreal; and
Okay, that last one was a bit of a lowlight. I've been not bothering dental professionals too much since Sweeney was born, and it caught up with me yesterday. Toothache took me to a place beyond ... any pain since Sweeney was born, I guess. So maybe it's appropriate to have had a sleepless night ...
Long story short, we got back today and I went to the dentist. The tooth is now safely despatched to hell, and my face is sore from keeping all food and drinks out of the right hand side of my mouth. Doesn't help that I was really hungry before I went in and came out gasping for food.
But, and I never thought I'd say this without sneering, it did give me the opportunity to see the Lady Gaga / Beyonce video over the dentist's shoulder. I couldn't hear it, over the whirring and grinding and screaming, but it looked amazing.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails