Saturday, 2 January 2010

Fresh New Year

My sister sums things up quite well, so this format is a total copy of her summing up of 2009.
What did you do in 2009 that you've never done before?
In no order ...
  • bought a Dominos pizza;
  • visited a hospice;
  • lived on instant coffee for four days;
  • went for dinner at Capitol, Metropolitan and Floriditas. Not all on the same night;
  • listened to Sweeney sing Jingle Bells, ABC and Row Row Row Your Boat around the house;
  • sold shoes;
  • had kids at my house for a sleepover;
  • took budgies home from preschool for the weekend;
  • read Robert Heinlein.
Did you keep your New Year's goals, and will you make more for 2010?
Actually, I mostly nailed it. I just want to keep working on it, maybe with some expansion in some areas.
Did anyone close to you die?
Yes. And yes.
What countries did you visit?
I went nowhere. Not even in my mind.
What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?
Where to start? In no order ...
  • a Proper Job, with actual $$ and all the secure feelings that brings;
  • a pruned willow tree at the bottom of the garden;
  • a new oven.
Hmm, those last two are definitely tied up with that first one. Handy.
What date from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
All the dates around Martin going into hospital and hospice, and then dying. They're all in stone.
What was your biggest achievement of the year?
I didn't end up in Debtors Prison or the loony bin. Sweeney isn't cutting himself or drinking absinthe.
Anticipating that next year's achievements will be a little less Dickensian.
What was your biggest failure?
Not always being as gracious as I could've been towards people who were just being nice.
Did you suffer illness or injury?
I resolved to guard my health in 2009, and apart from a few wild colds and a niggly back that niggles me if I don't pay it attention and stretch it in the mornings, there's nothing to report.
What was the best thing you bought?
It's a tie between Sweeney's preschool fees and the five new tyres on the car.
Whose behaviour merited celebration?
Everyone who:
  • had us over for dinner;
  • looked after Sweeney while I worked;
  • looked after Sweeney while I did something along party lines;
  • contributed anything - cash, clothes, food, hugs, kind words - to our household;
  • listened while I got stuff off my chest;
  • laughed at my stupid jokes, especially when they were inappropriate and I deserved to be muzzled;
  • refrained from treating me like a halfwit and/or lunatic when I exhibited halfwit and/ or lunatic behaviour. We're really lucky to have the people in our lives that we do, we are.
And you all know who you are.
Special mention goes to Martin, who, in 2009, was an ace dad for Sweeney, turning up and turning it on right up to just before the end. He came back to me as a lovely friend and confidant again. And we did have an almighty celebration already, thanks. Oooh, my head.
Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
Nobody's. Well, maybe a few people, but never for more than a nanosecond or two. 2009 was the year where I really tried hard to block that sort of stuff out.
Oh no, I've got one. Those people in that squalid flat in Kelburn - if you're reading this, then be ashamed. Be very ashamed. Of yourselves.
Oh, and our MPs, for supporting legislation to make pseudoephedrine prescription-only. I personally will be appalling and depressing to anyone who encounters me with a head cold, if I can't access pseudoephedrine asap.
Enough said.
Where did most of your money go?
Squandered it on keeping us fed and in an actual house.
What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Sweeney being toilet trained. I still can't believe it.
What song will always remind you of 2009?
True Faith by New Order
What do you wish you'd done more of?
Reading actual books. Jane Eyre, The Mayor of Casterbridge, Tu, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress. The Time Traveler's Wife made me wish someone would poke my eyes out, but there you have it.
What do you wish you'd done less of?
Reading online. I can't tell you what piffle there is out there, waiting to suck me into its piffly vortex.
Did you fall in love in 2009?
2009 was the year where I really got the hang of blocking that sort of stuff out.
What did you want and get?
A Proper Job, and to survive with my wits intact until I got it.
I just made it. Phew.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails