Monday, 20 April 2009

Inbetween Days

Day Three with no oven and no hot water. I boiled water to wash the dishes today. It felt like camping. I boiled more water to wash myself campsite-style, so I could be fit to be around humans. I found another microwave cookbook, which showed me how to make a jolly fine white sauce. Threw in some canned tuna and chopped parsley, and it was a delicious rainy-day lunch with enough to put in the bag for Sweeney's dinner.
I had to work until 6pm, and Sweeney was magically whisked up to KimberleyJoeHarper's house and given dinner and bathed, so when I got there just before 7pm, he was all snuggly and clean and full. Thanks, KimberleyJoeHarper!!
Came home to find a parcel for Sweeney in the letterbox - three pairs of trousers and a blue top - from his Nana. Thanks, Nana!!
He tried to put them all on over his pyjamas, then piled into bed. A quick couple of stories from the Great Big Air Book, then he was all glazed over and drifting off. The low-level cold that he's had for the last few weeks is developing into something of a cough. He doesn't seem bothered by it, but I cracked a karvol on his pyjama top to help keep his nose clear overnight.
Of course you really notice the coughs and snuffles when you have no hot running water and there's a southerly whipping up outside. The house is pretty cosy, though, and the gasfitter's due tomorrow, so we'll be back to full functionality soon. But I'm kind of intrigued by microwave cooking now, so I'll continue looking into what good food can come out of one
I finished a fingerless mitt this morning, started on the matching one and hopefully will make some progress on that tonight. Not sure if these will be for me or for someone else who loves the way they're turning out. Feel knackered, though, so maybe I'll just read some blogs, gaze listlessly at my book and pass out ten minutes from now.

1 comment:

Mystic Thistle said...

Sounds like you are taking it all in stride. I'm impressed. Once e had an ice storm that blew the power out for days on end. We cooked lots in the fireplace. You remind me of a friend of mine over here. She always takes a challange as an adventure and can always be found knitting a pair of fingerless gloves. I've learned a lot from her, about knitting and about life.

Related Posts with Thumbnails