Saturday, 25 April 2009

The Last Post

Woke up this morning to the sound of a helicopter flying really low over our house at 4.45 am. I guess it was heading for the hospital, but anyway, that was it - I was up. There've been lots of aircraft over the house since then, but for Anzac Day - highlight for me was an old DC3 flying really low towards the National War Memorial, via our house.
There's a scene towards the end of The Godfather II, where Michael's just told his brothers and sister that he's enlisted for World War II. Sunny says to him "what do you want to go fight for people you don't even know?". Now, that makes sense to me, especially being New Zealand and not having waged wars of our own.
While it's splendid to appreciate the people who've gone away to fight on our behalf, and I'm personally proud to have ancestors who've done so, I'll never understand how that stuff seems right to anyone.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails