Saturday, 14 November 2009

Front Door

This is what I see as I unlock the door when I get home. It's important to me that this bit of the house is tidy all the time. Not that it is. In any case, I always like getting home, no matter how good a time I've been having out in the world, and I prefer it if the view when I get home doesn't ram home to me what a slob I really am.
I like looking through the glass door as I unlock it, over the hopefully tidy entrance area, through the hopefully tidy sunroom and out the french doors, to the hopefully tidy deck. On a bad day, the curtains are still drawn in the sunroom at 6pm, and the place is in chaos. On a good day, it looks pretty much like this. The area all bulks up with jackets and whatnot over winter, and empties out over summer.
This part of the house sees a lot of action. We need space to stop and put on or take off shoes and coats, to pack and unpack bags, find an alternate route when the cat runs in front of us, as she always does, when we're trying to get in or out the door. Since the weather's been a bit nicer, the concrete floor's a bit warmer, and Sweeney's been playing cars here.
My Grandpop's beaten copper taniwha hangs here, and out of shot, is a wall vase and some artificial flowers that used to hang in my Nana's house. And of course, there's some of my favourite artwork of Sweeney's here and there.
Check out Meet Me at Mike's for links to other people's stories about their front door ...
In other news, Sweeney's tummy seems more under control today. And I've stopped counting how many days of toilet training we've been going for, because he's made it through a week without weeing in his pants even once. And it'd be more than a week, if I hadn't left him asleep last Saturday afternoon without a nappy on ...

4 comments:

Beck said...

Your front doorway looks like the real hub of the house, like ours is too. Glad to hear your Sweeney is feeling better and good luck with the toilet training bizzo, he will get there in the end! xo

Catherine and clan said...

Good one Ange and Sweeney. Sent a box of stuff up your way with Dad and Dom and in it is a waterproof sheet to go on the bed -don't know how bedtime and toilet training are going but it may come in use for you. Looking forward to seeing you in December, Cath and clan.

Shelley Trbuhovich said...

thanks for letting us through your front door, i have hooks near mine and they get very bulked up in winter too. there always seems to be a rogue scarf that never quite gets put away during summer, do you have that?!! and yay you for getting onto this meme so quickly. i love the name sweeney, by the way. and good on the little guy for the dry pants situation!

Moni said...

Interesting post, I enjoyed read this

Related Posts with Thumbnails